By Neil McLeman
Alexander Zverev claimed he still has the confidence of his fellow players despite facing a trial during the French Open over an assault allegation against his former girlfriend.
A Germain court issued a penalty order in October instructing the Olympic champion to pay fines of $450,000 euro over the alleged assault against former partner Brenda Patea in 2020.
Zverev has denied the accusations and his lawyers contested the ruling so the case will now be resolved in court. A date has now been set for May 31 during the French Open although the world No.6 does not have to attend in person.
The 2020 US Open finalist was elected to the Player Advisory Council of the ATP for a two-year term earlier this month.
But after his first round win over his fellow German Dominik Koepfer, Zverev insisted there is no question about his integrity or his future on the council because of the case.
In a short, tense press conference in English, a questioner claimed: “There’s obviously a question mark about your judgment, and the court will decide.” Zverev responded: “There isn’t”.
Asked if he still had the confidence of his fellow players in his ATP role, he said: “Yeah, I think so. I mean, I think so. Nobody has said anything to me. I don’t have a reason not to believe that.”
When asked about Zverev,world No.1 Iga Swiatek said: “Any answer that I give, I mean, there’s no good answer to that. I think it’s up to ATP what they decide. For sure it’s not good when a player who’s facing charges like that is kind of being promoted.”