Mr Incredible has been barred from competing in the 2025 Grand National, his trainer claims, after being scratched from Monday’s list of runners. An outsider for the 34-strong showpiece race at Aintree on Saturday, Mr Incredible is no longer able to compete after a reported ruling by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA).
Owner James Manclark, a Winter Olympian for Great Britain in 1968, was hopeful of realising his dream of having a Grand National runner. But had that ambition dashed when a list of seven scratched horses was released, featuring Mr Incredible.
“It’s really disappointing and I’m devastated for the owner because he bought the horse to run in the National,” trainer Sandy Thomson told The Scottish Sun.
“We were really keen to run and have been putting a lot of work into him preparing him for Aintree. But we were told we are being withdrawn and our appeal went nowhere.”
BHA officials were said to have decided that it was not in the best interests of the race for Mr Incredible to compete. Jockey Brian Hayes was unseated during last year’s Grand National, forcing another rival to come off their horse.
While recently at Kelso, Mr Incredible started but pulled up and has not completed a race since March 2024. The horse’s behaviour at Kelso was described as “unruly” by BHA stewards once they were referred after disrupting the event.
The nine-year-old has won two of his previous 16 races and finished second four times, but pulled up in three of his last four contests and refused to race on the other occasion.
Mr Incredible changed stables last year and the current custodians were optimistic of his chances moving forward, having worked with horse therapist Freddy Steele over the past seven weeks.
“It was 100 per cent the BHA’s decision. We appealed it. Their concern was that he would disrupt the start,” Thomson added. “My defence was that he has never disrupted any start.
“Having got him started at Kelso I saw no reason why he wouldn’t start in the Grand National, and having more horses around him would have helped.
“The other thing they said was about his recent form, but their criteria said they would take into account the last six runs and that included second in the Midlands National. It was a totally unsatisfactory situation.”
MORE TO FOLLOW
We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.
For the latest news and breaking news visit: express.co.uk/sport/football. Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us on Twitter @dexpress_sport – the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account – providing real news in real time.
We’re also on Facebook @dailyexpresssport – offering your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day to like, comment and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express and Express.co.uk.